Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Fully loved...completely broken

We are fully loved and completely broken at the same time. How do we function when these both exist together within us? 

This can only happen if we are in Christ and recognize: 

·        God fully knows us as we are (there are no secrets or surprises for him, even when there are for us). 
·        He completely receives and embraces us with full knowledge of all our brokenness.
·        Our brokenness always produces broken actions and consequences. 
·        God does not spare us from the consequences of our broken choices but uses them to advance us (He's bigger than our brokenness).
·        God redeems and uses everything for his glory; both our actions and their consequences.
·        God always sees and focuses on the potential he originally created us for, never on our failures.
·        God is always forward-looking, never backward-looking.
·        He is always sad for us (vs. disappointed or mad at us) when we fail and always rejoices when we succeed.
·        He always hurts when we are hurting. He fully feels our pain because of his own pain which he willingly and gladly experienced for us.

God always loves us, is always with us, always applauds our successes, always offers comfort in our struggles and failures (we must believe this, to experience it), and always uses these to advance us.

How can all this be true?

God's love, wisdom, power, and presence are not based on what we do or don't do, but on who he is and what he has done for us in and through Christ. 

"The gospel says you are more sinful and flawed than you ever dared to believe, but more accepted and loved than you ever dared to hope." - Tim Keller

To the director: A praise song of David, Kind of Israel
LORD, you have examined me and you know me. You know everything I do; from far away you understand all my thoughts. You see me, whether I am working or resting; you know all my actions. Even before I speak, you already know what I will say.  You are all around me on every side; you protect me with your power.

Your knowledge of me is too deep; it is beyond my understanding. Where could I go to escape from you? Where could I get away from your presence? If I went up to heaven, you would be there; if I lay down in the world of the dead, you would be there. If I flew away beyond the east or lived in the farthest place in the west,  you would be there to lead me, you would be there to help me.  I could ask the darkness to hide me or the light around me to turn into night, but even darkness is not dark for you, and the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are the same to you.

You created every part of me; you put me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because you are to be feared; all you do is strange and wonderful. I know it with all my heart. When my bones were being formed, carefully put together in my mother's womb, when I was growing there in secret, you knew that I was there---you saw me before I was born.

The days allotted to me had all been recorded in your book, before any of them ever began.

O God, how difficult I find your thoughts; how many of them there are! If I counted them, they would be more than the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.

O God, how I wish you would kill the wicked! How I wish violent people would leave me alone!
They say wicked things about you; they speak evil things against your name.
O LORD, how I hate those who hate you! How I despise those who rebel against you!
I hate them with a total hatred; I regard them as my enemies.

Examine me, O God, and know my mind; test me, and discover my thoughts.

Find out if there is any evil in me and guide me in the everlasting way.
 - Psa 139:1-24 (GNT)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. Feel free to leave any comments, questions or thoughts and I will try to reply within 48 hours.

If you like our posts please feel free to subscribe to our blog and recommend others to the same. Just click on the home page at the far left of the navigation bar up top for instructions.

Grace to you
Jim Deal